December 8, 2010

Back to designing...

If I've not mentioned it before, on this blog at least, I have plans to design an entire Steampunk costume done in nothing but crochet. This is a big project for me since a) I'm new to designing my own crochet designs, b) I've only written one pattern before and that was for my first pair of leggings, and c) I'm not allowed to go yarn shopping until the yarn I have is nearly completely used up.

I have an image of what I want this outfit to look like. It's beautiful, it's full of lace and ruffles and it features a lot of my favorite colour, purple. So why am I so nervous about doing all this? Because I tried to draw the finished outfit on paper and it looks like shit. That's because I'm a horrible artist. Even my stick figures look terrible. On the plus side, I'm a very stubborn lady so I will have this made. I will make this, I will wear this, I will look fabulous.

So tonight, even though it is 10PM as I write this now, I am plotting the first piece. While I know the smart thing would be to start from the inside out, I figure I'll save the bloomers for when I'm feeling confident enough to tackle bloomers. Since I've already got the leggings, I think I can skip the undergarment for now and head straight to the next layer. I'm going to start with a laced bustle. This seems like a very simple place to start and after looking at thousands of pictures of Victorian Bustles, I believe I can make one. I know, I could quickly sew one up but a) I need to use up as much of my yarn as possible with this outfit and b) I like the challenge.

So wish me luck darlings. I might post the pattern. I haven't decided yet, we'll see how it turns out and how generous I'm feeling.

*air smooches*

No comments:

Post a Comment